10 Persimmon Facts
- There are about 2,000 varieties of persimmons.
- There are only 2 types of commercially available persimmons: hachiya and fuyu.
- Persimmons are typically in season from September to December.
- Fresh and dried persimmon leaves can be used to make tea.
- Persimmons originated from China.
- Persimmons belong to the berry family.
- Persimmons first came to California in the 19th century.
- It can take a persimmon tree up to 7 years before it produces fruit.
- Persimmons can be used to bake cookies and breads.
- Persimmon trees can reach 70 feet tall.
One persimmon (168 grams) contains (1):
Carbs: 31 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Fat: 0.3 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Vitamin A: 55% of the RDI
Vitamin C: 22% of the RDI
Vitamin E: 6% of the RDI
Vitamin K: 5% of the RDI
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): 8% of the RDI
Potassium: 8% of the RDI
Copper: 9% of the RDI
Manganese: 30% of the RDI
Persimmons are also a good source of thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), folate, magnesium and phosphorus.
Craving for Persimmon?you can get it now at during this season!